Born this way foundation – an in-depth review on this undetectable foundation
For all of you pale skin people that struggle with foundation shades, Too Faced Born This Way Foundation is here to the rescue.
All of you that want a radiant flawless complexion with deep skin tones, come join the party as well!
Keep reading to find out why consumers love it so much.
What Too Faced says about it – What is it?
Born This Way Foundation is an oil-free foundation that provides medium to full coverage, but with a natural-looking finish. It states on the bottle of the foundation that it defuses the lines between makeup and skin.
It is cruelty-free and vegan. It comes in a glass bottle with a pump dispenser.
Co-founder and Chief Creative Officer Jerrod Blandino from Too Faced was inspired to create this foundation from the “I woke up like this” popular quote that people use on social media.
He was on a mission to create a foundation that is untraceable to the eye, but gives you natural-looking skin!
Is it good? Is it worth the hype? What do Makeup artists say?
I would say – in my own words, that it is a very nice bendable formula. It gives the illusion of undetectable coverage, that people will think you were born this way (as the brand states).
Makeup artists (myself included), love it because of it. The foundation is a long-lasting one and it’s great for taking photos. It is very nice to use on clients.
Born this way foundation is also amazing for bridal makeup. It looks like skin but also gives great coverage. It is beautiful for brides that want that natural, feminine, but long-lasting makeup look!
In my opinion, I’d say that Born this way foundation is worth the hype. It is a good foundation that really does what it says. It is buildable and you can use it for an everyday look, or a night out.
What about the ingredients list?
Here is the list of ingredients for any of you that need to know:
Water/Aqua/Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Isododecane, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Dimethicone, 1,2-Hexanediol, Alcohol, BHT, Butylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Water/Cocos Nucifera Water, Diphenyl Dimethicone, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Hexylene Glycol, Lecithin, Magnesium Sulfate, Phenoxyethanol, Pistacia Lentiscus (Mastic) Gum/Pistacia Lentiscus Gum, Polysilicone-11, Potassium Sorbate, Propylene Carbonate, Rhododendron ferrugineum Extract, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tribehenin, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891).
What is the base of this foundation | Is it silicone based?
You may not be able to read it from the ingredients list, but Too Faced Born This Way Foundation is silicone-based. The main silicone ingredients are Cyclopentasiloxane and Dimethicone.
This is why a lot of people with dry skin love it. Silicones are used to help the skin get smooth and silky. Also, silicones tend to help other agents penetrate the skin better.
For this reason, it is best that you do your skincare before applying this foundation.
The best primer to use with Born this way is a water-based or silicone-based primer, such as this one. Even though a lot of people use amazing new oils for dry skin, avoid using them with this foundation.
Some of the oils may make it separate and you will hate it. Which is not what you want. However, there are different types of oils, cold-pressed ones and such – so you can always test it – I’m not saying it can’t work.
Benefits for the skin
It is infused with:
- Coconut water (good natural moisturizer for the skin)
- Alpine Rose (helps in nourishing the skin in general)
- Hyaluronic Acid (helps with maintaining a youthful and smooth look).
Does it have SPF?
This foundation does not have SPF in it. In case you need sunscreen, you will have to apply it before you apply the foundation.
This is good news since I don’t recommend foundations with SPF in them. They can cause skin issues and are not the best choice to wear in the evening. This one is a nice match for this foundation, but feel free to explore your options on sunscreen.
What skin type is born this way foundation for?
At first, once you read the ingredients, you would think that it is best to use it for normal to dry skin. But let’s see.
- Review for dry skin: Too Faced Born This Way Foundation is a perfect foundation for dry skin. It provides all that you would need: a satin finish that gets dewy by wearing it, moisturizers, and a medium to full coverage, but with a natural finish.
What more could we ask for? It will not cling to any dry patches of your face, it will not get flakey. If you have acne-prone skin it will cover everything and you can build it up on any areas that you would need to.
- Review for oily skin: This foundation can definitely be used for oily skin as well, but only if you always set it with powder.
That way it will give you that flawless skin and not get greasy throughout the day. In case you have super oily skin, use a mattifying primer first and also bake the parts of the skin that are most problematic.
Let’s talk about Color match and Shade finder
It comes in 35 amazing shades. They used to sell only 12 shades in the beginning, but now they’ve stepped up their game with some help from the amazing Youtuber Jackie Aina.
She has helped them with creating shades for all people, including those with very deep skin tones.
Here is her video about the foundation:
As you can see, the shades range from pink to neutral to yellow undertones.
Below are the shade descriptions. See if you can find your shade in some of them:
- Could: Fairest with Neutral to Rosy Undertones
- Swan: Very Fair with Neutral Undertones
- Ivory: Very Fair with Golden Undertones
- Snow: Very Fair with Neutral to Rosy Undertones
- Almond: Fair with Golden Undertones
- Porcelain: Fair with Neutral Undertones
- Pearl: Very Fair with Neutral Undertones
- Vanilla: Very Light with Neutral Undertones
- Seashell: Fair with Rosy Undertones
- Nude: Very Light with Rosy Undertones
- Warm Nude: Very Light with Neutral Undertones
- Light Beige: Light with Neutral Undertones
- Golden Beige: Light with Golden Undertones
- Natural Beige: Light Medium with Neutral Undertones
- Warm Beige: Medium with Neutral Undertones
- Golden: Medium with Rosy Undertones
- Sand: Medium with Golden Undertones
- Praline: Medium Tan with Golden Undertones
- Warm Sand: Tan with Golden Undertones
- Honey: Tan with Neutral Undertones
- Brulee: Rich Tan with Golden Undertones
- Caramel: Rich Tan with Neutral Undertones
- Butter Pecan: Richest Tan with Golden Undertones
- Mocha: Rich Tan with Rosy Undertones
- Maple: Deep with Neutral Undertones
- Chestnut: Deep with Neutral to Golden Undertones
- Chai: Deep with Golden Undertones
- Hazelnut: Deepest with Rosy Undertones
- Mahogany: Very Deep with Golden Undertones
- Spiced rum: Very Deep with Rosy Undertones
- Tiramisu: Deepest with Golden Undertones
- Cocoa: Deepest with Neutral Undertones
- Sable: Rich with Rosy Undertones
- Truffle: Rich with Golden Undertones
- Ganache: Richest with Neutral Undertones
What is the best way to apply Born this way foundation?
Depending on your desired effect, you will apply it with a brush or a sponge.
- Use a sponge to apply it for natural-looking skin. The beauty sponge will blend it in very well and mash it up with your prepped skin. In case you need to cover up some imperfections, apply a bit more on that specific area.
- Use a dense brush if you want full coverage and flawless-looking skin. Apply it section by section, starting from the middle of your face. This way you will be sure of how much do you actually need – since the foundation is buildable.
- If you want, you can use your fingers to apply it as well. Too faced says it is okay. Don’t forget to apply a hydrating primer to help it spread out smoothly and evenly. Also, don’t forget to wash your hands before application.
How long does Born this way foundation last?
This foundation can last for 16 hours on your skin. It can last all day and night if you prep your skin well and set it in place with powder (if you need it for an event).
The bottle can last up to 1 year if you have normal skin. You get 30 mL/1.0 Fl. Oz (as usual).
The texture of the foundation is runny but creamy. You may need only one pump (maybe one and a half) for your entire face – especially if you prep your skin well, so it glides smoothly.
Is Too faced Born this way foundation good for mature skin?
It is great for mature skin! It hydrates and gives a natural-looking skin. This is great for mature skin since the skin needs a good formula to make it look fresh and not dull.
It is easy to use and it’s comfortable on the skin.
Is it good for acne-prone skin? Does it cover up acne?
This review would not be complete if I didn’t cover this topic. What I found is that people with acne-prone skin love this foundation. Does it break out?
No, it does not! And it covers up acne quite well. It doesn’t get crusty or chunky on acne scars or active acne at all.
Since it is silicone based, as I have mentioned, just be careful to clean your skin properly. The silicones could end up helping bacteria to penetrate your skin.
Like with any makeup, you need to clear your skin and practice good hygiene in general for the best results. This exfoliant is very nice and great to use daily for all skin types.
This is THE BEST foundation I’ve ever used. I have dry acne prone skin, it covers my acne so well and doesn’t cling to any dry patches. It makes my face look smooth af and really does look like skin, even with 2 layers of it on. I’m pretty fair with a neutral undertone and Pearl matches me perfectly despite it saying ‘rosy’ undertone. It’s definitely not a rosy undertone. I got matched in store, otherwise I would not have picked the perfect shade for me. I will ALWAYS use this foundation, it’s legit amazing.
I finally found what works!! Even in the summer! I have a bit of texture on my face and this foundation almost makes them invisible! A little goes a long way. I also have combination skin, but my T-zone doesn’t get greasy even though I use the Bobbi Brown hydrating face cream moisturizer/primer. Also, I lightly set with the hour glass veil translucent powder. This is a win for me, especially because it doesn’t oxidize.
- Easy to apply
- Blends seamlessly
- Value for money
- Shade range
- Radiant look
- Dewy skin
- Full coverage
- Gets oily
- Fades away
Conclusion | Too Faced Born This Way Foundation
We love Too Faced Born This Way Foundation for its multitasking abilities. You don’t need a lot to achieve a flawless complexion. Apply it on the center of your face and then just blend into the outer parts of it. Minimal effort for maximal results.
There is not much more to say about this foundation rather than: Give it a try!
Related foundation articles:
Best Rated Beauty
Share this article if you find it helpful